Recovering Deleted Emails, Contacts, and Calendar Items in Office 365
Data loss is a real threat in Office 365 that can be caused by viruses, malware or phishing attacks, With the ever growing number of attacks , people often forget the most common cause of data loss: Human Error
In this article, we will explain how to recover your deleted data in Office 365, be it your emails or other deleted items.
Whilst items are within your deleted items folder in Office 365 they are relatively easy to restore, Once they are removed from this folder Office 365 provides you with little restore capabilities. The duration that Office 365 keeps items in the deleted folder can be set by the admin – The default setting is 14 days, this can be increased to 30 or more easily.
Let’s take a look at how we can retrieve deleted items using the Outlook Web App (OWA) or any Outlook clients such as Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013.
Steps to Retrieve Items from Deleted Items Folder in Outlook Web App
- Login to your OWA account
- Choose the “Deleted Items” folder from the email folders list
- Right click on the deleted email, and click Move > Inbox. This will restore the email
- In order to retrieve a deleted calendar item, right click on it and click Move to Calendar
- In order to restore a deleted task or contact, right click on it and click Move to Tasks or Move to Contacts respectively
Steps to Retrieve Items that are emptied from Deleted Items Folder in the Outlook Web App
Even if you empty the deleted items folder, and then realize that you accidentally deleted an item, you can still recover your deleted data. Here is how:
- Sign-in to your Outlook Web App account
- Right Click on the “Deleted Items” folder from the folder list and then select “Recover Deleted Items”
- Choose the item that you want to retrieve and click on “Recover”
- The deleted item should be restored back to its original location. For example, emails will go back to your Inbox, while calendar items will go back to the Calendar
Steps to Restore Deleted Items in Outlook 2010 and 2013
- Make sure you use a Microsoft Exchange Server Account (not POP3 or IMAP)
- Click on “Folder” and select the Recover Deleted Items option
- Choose the email or other items that need to be restored and then select Recover Selected Items
- The retrieved items are restored back to the folder the user is working on
Exchange-based client users, the recovery procedure can be handled using the OWA. Alternatively, Microsoft Exchange account users can use the recovery procedure for Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013.
If you took all the actions above and still can’t find that lost Office 365 data you were looking for, then you must have deleted it a while ago, and them you can’t recover it, since Microsoft automatically erases it after 30 days (less/more depending on your plan and definitions).
If you are using UK Backup’s Office 365 backup solution, then you can easily recover your deleted data, even though it was permanently erased from Office 365:
Recover your deleted Contact/Calendar Item or Email with UK Backup
- Log in to the UK Backup management console
- Select the Office 365 backup set you would like to restore from and click on the restore icon.
- Search for the data type (email/calendar/contacts) and date you want to recover
- Select the restore location (Original or alternative)
- Click on restore
With just a few clicks its easy to restore deleted items from Office 365. Learn more about our Office 365 Backup Solution here.